OF IMPORTANCE WHO
CAME INTO THE MISSION
(These were not charter members, but later became a
part of the Pentecostal Rescue Mission in its early work.)
Early in 1905 MRS. LOUISE SHELP and her sister, MRS. HATTIE TITMAN, having come to Binghamton from their home at Elklake, Pa., began attending the services at the Mission. They soon sought the Lord. Sr. Shelp and Sr. Titman were choice saints and a great blessing to the Binghamton Church. Sr. Shelp was generally regarded as one of the outstanding lay members of the church in that day. No one will know the victories she won through the weapons of prayer and fasting or the worth of her godly example and influence. Sr. Shelp served on the Missionary Board, was a member of the local board for several years, and served as Class Leader after Sr. Hamlin could no longer care for the office. She had been a member of the work for thirty-eight years and in 1942, she joined the Church Triumphant. A tribute to Sr. Louise Shelp is written in the District Minutes, 1942, page 26.
MISS VERNA HAMLIN began attending the services soon after Sr. Shelp. These three young women made their home together and it was, for years, a haven of rest to the saints. As a newspaper boy, this writer remembers well the Titman home on Clifford Street. Sr. Hamlin became a licensed minister and her ministry was anointed of the Spirit. She served faithfully as Missionary Secretary-Treasurer for a number of years. Verna Hamlin carried a deep interest in the Missionaries that were on the field. In the Binghamton Church she acted as board member for several years. As Class Leader, after E. 0. Fuller could no longer hold the office, she was a blessing and an inspiration.
GRACE ROBINSON came to the Mission from the Free Methodist church in Walton, NY. She gave much time to the Rescue Work in Binghamton, Albany, Schenectady, and other places. She served as General Secretary and was active on the Missionary Board. Incidentally, Sr. Robinson was the only one to complete the course in the Mission Bible School. She was its first and only graduate. Grace Robinson gave much faithful service to the orphanage work and to the printing department. Because of her call to the missionary work as a young girl, Grace broke off her engagement to marriage. Her commitment to the cause was deep and genuine. She later left the New York area and entered the Peniel Mission work on the West Coast. Her reports from year to year in the minutes show that her missionary love was still supreme. Sr. Robinson has labored among many races, particularly on the west coast. She retained her membership with the New York work.
MRS. IDA HOUGHTALING, wife of Mrs. Kennedy’s brother, was saved under Rev. Kennedy’s ministry in 1902, in Binghamton. After going back to Schoharie County for some time, she returned for the dedication of the Mission Block in February 1905. For years she was an active and spiritual member of the Binghamton church. Sr. Houghtaling had the capacity for spiritual demonstration in a good lively service. Obtrusive “hat-feathers” if worn to church, weren't often overlooked in those days by those who filled the pulpits and sometimes by those who ran the aisles. In her more spirited moments, Sr. Houghtaling could be quite adept at giving heavy pats on the hats of the saints, especially if they were feathered.